Friday, November 12, 2010

I am obese but ...

Source Website: http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC101112-0000117/I-am-obese-but-,,,
Letter from
Yeo Shuan Chee, 05:55 AM Nov 12, 2010



PHOTO: We are simply not perfect! I may find myself remaining single for the rest of my life but that does not mean I will not be able to contribute towards the progress of the nation.
http://www.doverpost.com/archive/x1549044762/g12c0000000000000008164648715ab08b6d313207166eced2729e1c9d5.jpg


I REFER to the letter "Penalise the fat of the land" by Liew Kai Khiun (Nov 11).

I have been obese since the time I understood what the word meant and am still so. But that did not deter me from completing my National Service cycle and being gainfully employed at the moment.

It is not that one is resigned to accepting or celebrating obesity as a normal aspect of life but some people are just born the way they are - we are simply not perfect! Even when I was hospitalised due to a wound and was on drips for a week, my weight still did not fall below 80kg.

The last time I took medical leave was about four years ago. In contrast, my lanky colleague sees a doctor almost every month or two. So what is the writer trying to prove?

I go for my half-yearly medical check-ups at the polyclinic and, for the past few years, my blood and heart results have been good, according to my doctor. My mobility is not hampered in any way and my only issue with my size is when it comes to buying clothes - though that has helped me save lots of money.

It has been proven that tobacco and excessive alcohol are not good for health. I agree that such things should be taxed heavily to prevent abuse - but food consumption?

I also find it preposterous that the writer can even suggest discrimination of citizens and their rights and privileges based on weight and size.

So, what am I missing here? Perhaps, in the superficial world, I may find myself remaining single for the rest of my life but that does not mean I will not be able to contribute towards the progress of the nation.
Letter from Yeo Shuan Chee, 05:55 AM Nov 12, 2010



PHOTO: Love your body, through thick and thin. Whether you are thin, fat, white, black, or green, if you build your self-esteem and accept yourself just as you are, you will naturally make healthier life and food choices. So, love your body, treat it well, and work on yourself before you work on your abs. For when you love yourself, we know you will lead a happier, healthier and fuller life.
From: Why Being Fat Is–and Isn’t–all That Why is overt discrimination and prejudice towards fat and obese people still accepted in our country?
http://www.curiousartist.com/wp-images/richard-wilkinson.jpg
http://www.adiosbarbie.com/why-being-fat-is-and-isnt-all-that/


Quote:
Source Website: http://www.adiosbarbie.com/why-being-fat-is-and-isnt-all-that/

Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart.
--Kahlil Gibran

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.
--Confucious

There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.
--Sir Francis Bacon

Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.
--Unknown

Our own physical body possesses a wisdom which we who inhabit the body lack. We give it orders which make no sense.
--Henry Miller

Change the self-consciousness of a spotlight on the body for the self-confidence of a light radiating from the body.
--Gloria Steinem

Women need to celebrate their God-given beauty instead of always trying to be something else.
--Iman

No object is so beautiful that, under certain conditions, it will not look ugly.
--Oscar Wilde

Beauty comes in all sizes, not just size 5.
--Roseanne

Joy is the best makeup.
--Anne Lamott

We do not see the world as it is; we see the world as we are.
--Anais Nin

There were times when I hated my nose...But you grow up and you start to recognize that maybe it wasn't a bad thing that you weren't born Barbie.
--Anjelica Huston

just want to open a dialogue...where we can define our own beauty and approve of ourselves. We have to approve of ourselves before anyone else will.
--Iman

Let the beauty we love be what we do.
--Rumi

Bras, panties, bathing suits, and other stereotypical gear are visual reminders of a commercial, idealized feminine image that our real and diverse female bodies can't possibly fit.
--Gloria Steinem



Reference