Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Keep life in perspective with a good quote

My Paper, Tuesday, September 04, 2012, Page A13, Viewpoints
From http://epaper.mypaper.sg/cnd/fvxen/fvxp/fvxpress.php?param=2012-09-04
By Geoff Tan



Just look up at the night sky and the massive universe several times a week and you will have no problem understanding your small size of importance.
PHOTO: Just look up at the night sky and the massive universe several times a week and you will have no problem understanding your small size of importance.
http://www.tooft.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/A_River_In_The_Forest_by_MCfrog.jpg
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhDQ2w0YmrrGeBeGSG-lF1zLz2dVa7ghsXWY4Jg390c40TyeP0usYUqueMSXtmstXm5oo0C6RFUUBNZLRNWVT9FEU1fdBEsWR27G6Pcqq62Hwpa8PzF7eD4xyMZ6D-OTfvc5MrMb2iqMuQ/s320/A_River_In_The_Forest_by_MCfrog_thumb.jpg
http://beautifulillustratedquotations.blogspot.sg/2010/10/how-do-you-fit-into-universe.html




PHOTO: Geoff Tan
The writer is a senior vice-president of Singapore Press Holdings’ marketing division.
My Paper, Tuesday, September 04, 2012, Page A13, Viewpoints


I RECENTLY started to maintain a repository (location for storage) of quotable quotes made by an eclectic (selecting or choosing from various sources) crew of famous and not so-famous people.

Thanks to the Internet and social media, my collection is growing exponentially and, with it, so has my perspective on life.

I have organised the quotes by topic, and one set which I would like to bring up in this column is entitled "Golden Inspirations".

I find that these quotes come in really handy as a source of encouragement, especially during life's more challenging moments.

When someone gets me riled up, for example, I remind myself that "life is too short to stress yourself with people who don't even deserve to be an issue in your life".

And if that doesn't calm me down, I heed another one-liner which goes: "Anger is a feeling that makes your mouth work faster than your mind."

On more than a few occasions, it has saved me from saying things which I probably would have regretted if I had voiced my feelings on the spur of the moment.

The Dalai Lama once said: "Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." This serves as a timely reminder as we tread through the sometimes cold and selfish world we live in.

You know, life is such that we don't always understand everything that happens, from the many outcomes that confound us to the twists and turns that we encounter. I guess that is why someone wrote: "Someday, everything will make perfect sense. So, for now, laugh at the confusion, smile through the tears and keep reminding yourself that everything happens for a reason."

People who have been hurt or let down by their so-called friends can relate to the saying that you should "trust only someone who can see these three things in you: The sorrow behind your smile, the love behind your anger and the reason behind your silence".


PHOTO: "When I was five years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life."
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjOSaEkwOdPMCScrPjpqjpUJPet8Gn8oXfd2tueqk3QVOpk30tXBMv1wjwGT13ucOFcOsU96QGqOtZ7AVy9r1o64nW1p0BuoH6Ws8eePGctlyyi0s_Lo4EBe64xI1r1lmZKo_vNfrN-9U5Z/s1600/%25D1%2586%25D0%25B2%25D0%25B5%25D1%2582%25D1%258B-%25D0%25B4%25D0%25B5%25D0%25BA%25D1%2583%25D0%25BF%25D0%25B0%25D0%25B6-24.jpg
http://api.ning.com/files/XbMaCfkr2XMLnDwa8Ou6oVFCcyPWjR8-Doypcd-yCgwD5IC4PVwUX5Vr9XT-uINZq060-Ysf*yd3Mo*S7iDkV1ZKrF0HZyTK/picturesofflowers2.jpg
http://tealoverscorner.ning.com/profile/LindaKinder



But my favourite poster quotation is the one that goes: "When I was five years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life."

Isn't it strange how a simple piece of advice with such profound meaning can be so misunderstood by those who think they know it all?

I hope that sharing what others have shared with me has inspired you in a small way today.

Let me leave you with this suggestion; "Lead with your heart.., Your life will follow,"

Have a great day!
By Geoff Tan

The writer is a senior vice-president of Singapore Press Holdings' marketing division.


Timeless Parables For Regaining Perspective When bad fortune hits it can be devastating. So, in order to keep my perspective in life, I often refer to various parables that help me keep my perspective.
PHOTO: Timeless Parables For Regaining Perspective
When bad fortune hits it can be devastating. So, in order to keep my perspective in life, I often refer to various parables that help me keep my perspective.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi8qZHkjZokMFbp7jdUnpORJC5dR_NQgJs8nOkHoZidASO8TjqH3frzoXGNWxwqn25ouAROaubd4_xsdpm8nNPlFLT_Bw2P9SmYhY5ZDYI-3wlN3V2QdPPHmJphZTaseNAPNsjjJsq4Bvo4/s1600/bird.jpeg
http://www.thehungryandfoolish.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/bird.jpeg
http://www.thehungryandfoolish.com/tag/quotes/



HELPDESK
我的字典: Wǒ de zì diǎn

Repository (location for storage) : 智慧宝库 (zhì huì bǎo kù)
Eclectic (selecting or choosing from various sources): 五花八门的 (wǔ huā bā mén de)
Confusion: 困惑 (kùn huò)
Assignment: 作业 (zuò yè)



Reference