Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Get in shape by following 'The 1% Rule'

My Paper, Tuesday, March 27, 2012, Page A13, Viewpoints
From http://epaper.mypaper.sg/cnd/fvxen/fvxp/fvxpress.php?param=2012-03-27
Source Website: http://news.asiaone.com/News/Mailbox/Story/A1Story20120327-335961.html
By Geoff Tan, my paper, Tuesday, Mar 27, 2012



PHOTO: It takes just 1 per cent of your time to keep yourself in tip-top shape.
http://news.asiaone.com/A1MEDIA/news/03Mar12/images/20120327.112119_sph_1percentrule.jpg
http://news.asiaone.com/News/Mailbox/Story/A1Story20120327-335961.html



PHOTO: Geoff Tan
The writer is a senior vice-president of Singapore Press Holdings’ marketing division.
My Paper, Tuesday, March 27, 2012, Page A13, Viewpoints


I used to dish out a barrage of "lame" excuses to friends who regularly encouraged me to do some form of exercise to stay fit and, for the record, I am not proud to have successfully staved off these promptings for the longest time.

It was only a year ago that the balance was tilted, and I started indulging in both cardiovascular and strength training three times a week.

Having learnt the hard way what it takes to get healthy, I feel a compelling need to share with one and all the principle of sparing your body just a fraction of your time each week to work out.

It's called "The 1 per cent Rule", because it takes just 1 per cent of your time to keep yourself in tip-top shape.

I learnt this from Mike Geary, author of The Truth About Six Pack Abs, who put it this way: "If you dedicate only 25 minutes per day, four days per week to a good exercise routine, that's only 100 minutes in total per week... You have 1,440 minutes in each day which, multiplied by seven days, equals 10,080 minutes per week of time in total.

"Now look at those 100 minutes per week dedicated to exercise and (compare that to) the 10,080-minute total that you have in a week, and that represents approximately 1 per cent of your total time in any given week."

I am pretty sure you have not looked at the picture this way before, and if you can still say after reading what's above that you cannot spare the time, it probably confirms that you have consciously decided to not do anything about the situation.

If you want to look for excuses - and I used to do it all the time - they are aplenty and include:
  • I'm in horrible shape - well, if you don't want to do anything about it, it won't get any better. I don't like to exercise - I don't like a lot of things, like brushing my teeth, waking up early, paying my bills, but I still do them.
  • I'm too tired - trust me, you will feel more energised after you exercise than if you skip it altogether. An endorphin high after a good workout is really something to be experienced.
  • I'm too busy - I guarantee you that someone busier than you is working out right now.
  • I've got better things to do - isn't keeping healthy and fit something worth spending time on? Exercise is an activity you can get used to.

My health "awakening" came a little late, but I figure that it is better late than never. I used to weigh 78kg, but now weigh 66kg. I used to wear size 36 pants, but now fit into size 31.

My total-cholesterol reading - formerly 250 - is now 180; LDL used to be 160, now 100; total cholesterol/HDL ratio used to be 3.5, now 2.8.

All because I chose to give my body 1 per cent of my time!

By Geoff Tan, my paper, Tuesday, Mar 27, 2012
The writer is a senior vice-president of Singapore Press Holdings’ marketing division.



PHOTO: The modern damsel engage in a new method of exercise: innovative pole workouts that’d make any fairytale princess blush. The feminine side stretch, flex, and twirl from flab to abs with pole classes.
http://216.151.211.208/res/2011/04/Five-Pole-Dancing-Fitness-Classes-At-Spinderella-Fitness.jpg
http://www.bargainez.com/deal/five-pole-dancing-fitness-classes-at-spinderella-fitness/



HELPDESK
我的字典: Wǒ de zì diǎn


Lame: 无说服力的 - wú shuō fú lì de
Tip-top: 极佳的 - jí jiā de
Spare the time: 抽空 - chōu kòng
Endorphin: 内啡肽 - nèi fēi tài

Endorphins are chemicals produced in the brain in response to a variety of stimuli, and they may be nature's cure for high levels of stress. In addition to decreased feelings of pain, secretion of endorphins leads to a feeling of euphoria, modulation of appetite, release of sex hormones, and enhancement of the immune response.

With high endorphin levels, we feel less pain and fewer negative effects of stress.



Reference