Saturday, July 8, 2017

Book-loving family in China slowly poisoned by their home library

Source Website: http://www.asiaone.com/china/book-loving-family-china-slowly-poisoned-their-home-library
By Thanh Bui, thanhb@sph.com.sg, AsiaOne, 07 July 2017


At the end of last year, the family- which consists of a couple and their child- developed symptoms of formaldehyde poisoning, according to a report from Jiangsu Television.
PHOTO: At the end of last year, the family- which consists of a couple and their child- developed symptoms of formaldehyde poisoning, according to a report from Jiangsu Television. According to China's national standards, anything over 0.08 milligrams of formaldehyde per square metre is considered unhealthy. The concentration of the poisonous gas in the couple's bedroom was 0.10 milligrams per square metre, and the highest levels of formaldehyde came from their bookshelves.

Reaching up to 0.26 milligrams per square metre, the collection of books was identified as the main source of formaldehyde pollution, South China Morning Post reported.
Picture saved by Gloria Leona Felicidade to Arlequim from plus.google.com
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WwlYxmgtzjo/WWBTFh4MeYI/AAAAAAAAnXM/muSwebUauiwVeIAXRzkz_GZ16nuWP4jKwCLcBGAs/s1600/d8485e62f7b3188ad93f8451908ea003.gif
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/d8/48/5e/d8485e62f7b3188ad93f8451908ea003.gif
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/450711875181275011/



Aside from the occasional paper cut or perhaps killer litter, books aren't typically a source of danger.

But for a family living in Taizhou in China's Jiangsu province, their love of reading was slowly poisoning them - literally.

At the end of last year, the family- which consists of a couple and their child- developed symptoms of formaldehyde poisoning, according to a report from Jiangsu Television.

The adults suffered from constant coughing, while their child had rhinitis, an inflammation of the mucous membrane.



The adults suffered from constant coughing, while their child had rhinitis, an inflammation of the mucous membrane.
PHOTO: The adults suffered from constant coughing, while their child had rhinitis, an inflammation of the mucous membrane. Doctors weren't sure what was causing their illness.
Picture saved by Carey Norton to Things that make me smile from an-adored-heart.tumblr.com
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-kxDvIZ-uwQ8/WWBTEw7-fEI/AAAAAAAAnXE/5YFVOHDjzzQ3SGnAlt1s7XuMoVUbdF1vgCLcBGAs/s1600/35b36085b276cfff4774ca82319cc531.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/35/b3/60/35b36085b276cfff4774ca82319cc531.jpg
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/122300946101107104/
https://www.pinterest.com/carey_norton/things-that-make-me-smile/?lp=true



The couple spent about 8,000 yuan (S$1,630) on medical treatment but nothing worked.

Furthermore, doctors weren't sure what was causing their illness, the television report said.

However, after doing some research, the woman realised that the air in their home could be the source of the problem.



After doing some research, the woman realised that the air in their home could be the source of the problem.
PHOTO: After doing some research, the woman realised that the air in their home could be the source of the problem. She requested municipal authorities to test the air quality in their apartment and the results found excessive levels of formaldehyde in every room. In some areas, the concentration of formaldehyde was dangerously high.
Picture saved by DELIA BEATRIZ to Tiempo de lectura.. from angelaswakingdreams.tumblr.com
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-InW8vjv9m64/WWBTEq0ndvI/AAAAAAAAnXA/m3GEAFvXtbkmnyIe-mRFRc4tFSDvxPtvQCLcBGAs/s1600/a4d681ba5ea8e1032c9be5d8b37c2265.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/a4/d6/81/a4d681ba5ea8e1032c9be5d8b37c2265.jpg
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/391179917603531324/



She requested municipal authorities to test the air quality in their apartment and the results found excessive levels of formaldehyde in every room. In some areas, the concentration of formaldehyde was dangerously high.

According to China's national standards, anything over 0.08 milligrams of formaldehyde per square metre is considered unhealthy.

The concentration of the poisonous gas in the couple's bedroom was 0.10 milligrams per square metre, and the highest levels of formaldehyde came from their bookshelves.

Reaching up to 0.26 milligrams per square metre, the collection of books was identified as the main source of formaldehyde pollution, South China Morning Post reported.



The readings from the air quality test.
PHOTO: The readings from the air quality test.
The concentration of the poisonous gas in the couple's bedroom was 0.10 milligrams per square metre, and the highest levels of formaldehyde came from their bookshelves (0.26 milligrams per square metre).
Photo: Sina Video
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eBdbhXHPGBA/WWBTEgF2EwI/AAAAAAAAnXI/FsgL1C7MqJ8S5qVnDnSPrl-SZW8UuVHWQCLcBGAs/s1600/228_1499406871.jpg
http://www.asiaone.com/sites/default/files/inline/images/228_1499406871.jpg
http://www.asiaone.com/china/book-loving-family-china-slowly-poisoned-their-home-library



Formaldehyde is a colourless, yet strong-smelling gas, and is found in many products ranging from wallpaper and paints to cosmetics, clothing, carpet, pressed-wood products, and even beer.

It is also used to make some nail polishes and embalming fluid.

High levels of the chemical can damage the respiratory and immune systems.

In this case, the family was affected by the formaldehyde present in the printing inks used in books, magazines and newspapers.



Formaldehyde is a colourless, yet strong-smelling gas, and is found in many products ranging from wallpaper and paints to cosmetics, clothing, carpet, pressed-wood products, and even beer.
PHOTO: Formaldehyde is a colourless, yet strong-smelling gas, and is found in many products ranging from wallpaper and paints to cosmetics, clothing, carpet, pressed-wood products, and even beer. The family was affected by the formaldehyde present in the printing inks used in books, magazines and newspapers. High levels of the chemical can damage the respiratory and immune systems.
Picture saved by Cleo Aram-Klundt to Art is ... from jerry8448.deviantart.com
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-oVwQg9VYNxg/WWBTF9DFIwI/AAAAAAAAnXU/lW-khrgxk2YBCvn8qDmkl40rDHUfEVQqACLcBGAs/s1600/fbdc945fbd320a426a2c034467e8e69b.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/fb/dc/94/fbdc945fbd320a426a2c034467e8e69b.jpg
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/445082375650238049/



The couple, who are avid readers, said to Jiangsu Television that they bought books online three to four times a month.

Piles of books were present in every room of the family's flat, and the husband told the broadcaster that they had accumulated tens of thousands of them.

Experts suggested the couple get rid of some of the books while doctors told them to limit their collection to one room and improve the ventilation in their home.



Experts suggested the couple get rid of some of the books while doctors told them to limit their collection to one room and improve the ventilation in their home.
PHOTO: Experts suggested the couple get rid of some of the books while doctors told them to limit their collection to one room and improve the ventilation in their home.
Picture posted by vivsters, Digital Art / Drawings & Paintings / People / Portraits©2012-2017 vivsters -  summer reading
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/--qTfB1h8sAQ/WWBTF-PcfbI/AAAAAAAAnXQ/UR1A7UbS5bspAApyactUUfoCJCd7E3iZwCLcBGAs/s1600/summer_reading_by_vivsters-d5bev1w.jpg
http://orig01.deviantart.net/b06b/f/2012/229/3/b/summer_reading_by_vivsters-d5bev1w.jpg
http://reenin.deviantart.com/art/summer-reading-321500084


By Thanh Bui, thanhb@sph.com.sg, AsiaOne, 07 July 2017



Reference
[1] Thanh Bui, thanhb@sph.com.sg, AsiaOne, Book-loving family in China slowly poisoned by their home library, posted on 07 July 2017, http://www.asiaone.com/china/book-loving-family-china-slowly-poisoned-their-home-library

Links
report from Jiangsu Television - http://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2101526/bookworms-slowly-poisoned-their-home-library-eastern-china

No comments: