By China Daily, ANN, Mon, Jan 10 2011
Photos: Alexander Savin, Salma Khalik, China Daily, Reuters
PHOTO: Lijiang's stunning natural surroundings have fired many a visitor's imagination about an utopian land of peace and unspoiled natural beauty.
The cobbled paths of Lijiang lead to authentic scenes of an old world.
PHOTO: The Old Town comes alive at night with red lanterns everywhere.
Yulong Mountain (Jade Dragon Snow Mountain)
PHOTO: Heilongtan Park (Black Dragon Pool)
By Alexander Savin, Salma Khalik, China Daily, Reuters
http://static.relax.com.sg/site/servlet/linkableblob/relax/531174/topImage.jpg - Heilongtan Park (Black Dragon Pool)
Heilongtan Park (Black Dragon Pool)
PHOTO: Tiger Leaping Gorge
http://static.relax.com.sg/site/servlet/linkableblob/relax/531204/topImage.jpg - Tiger Leaping Gorge
The Tiger Leaping Gorge.
IF YOU GO
- The wet season spans May to October with plenty of rainfall.
- From November to April it is dry season.
- Autumn is the best time to visit Lijiang, when temperatures are pleasant and rain is rare.
- July and August are less desirable months with most rainfall and occasional lightning storms occurring during this period.
- January and February is the time when the wintry weather comes to its climax.
- But if you like a snowy scene, visit between January and March.
- Yak horn combs
- Burned wood carvings
- Buttered Tea
- Lijiang Snow Tea
- Xing Liquor (a nutritious liquor with low alcohol)
- Li Yin (hand-crafted silver ornaments)
- Naxi bracelets and necklaces carved with ancient Dongba hieroglyphs
- Yak's milk yogurt
- Naxi fried white cheese
- Baba (a flat wheat bread)
- Nightlife: Xinhua Street is a famous bar street that runs along the waterways in the Old Town
- Naxi Concert Hall: Hosts a daily traditional Naxi music show performed by the Naxi orchestra
- Dongba Palace: Another famous place for Naxi traditional music performance
- Because Lijiang is 2,400 metres above sea level, this may affect some tourists from low-altitude areas Altitude sickness pills are an easy solution.
- Except for summer, the temperature difference between day and night can range from 5-18 °C so it is a good idea to carry a jacket.
- The high elevation leads to abundant sunshine all year round, so don't forget to bring your sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat to avoid sunburn.
- http://static.relax.com.sg/site/servlet/linkableblob/relax/531174/topImage.jpg - Heilongtan Park (Black Dragon Pool)
- http://static.relax.com.sg/site/servlet/linkableblob/relax/531204/topImage.jpg - Tiger Leaping Gorge